Monday, May 9, 2011

Red Velvet Pancakes

The bf made brunch yesterday in honor of mother's day while I was out getting us coffee and a vanilla soy steamer for the little one at Starbucks.  To my surprise, he made red velvet pancakes complete with eggs over easy and bacon!  Yumm.  I love pancakes and love red velvet even more so these were a perfect way to start our morning.  This was his first time at making a batter of any kind (without my help) and I think he did a great job.  ;) The pancakes were light and fluffy, just the way I like em!  One thing I might add the next time I make these is homemade macadamia nut sauce.  If you've ever been to Hawaii and visited Boots and Kimos, you know that sauce is to die for.  Its one thing I wished we had here in the Bay but something I want to try and make.  Once I perfect the recipe, I'll post it on here.  

So, the next time you decide to make brunch or breakfast in bed for your loved ones, make sure to have red velvet pancakes on the menu.  Enjoy!  

Red Velvet Pancakes
taken from Baking Bites

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp red food coloring

Preheat a lightly greased or nonstick skillet on the stovetop.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add in egg, melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla and food coloring and whisk well until batter is smooth and very few lumps remain.
Drop the batter onto the hot skillet in heart shapes – with a spoon, a heart-shaped mold, or a wide-tipped pastry bag – and cook until edges just start to set and bottom is lightly browned. Turn once, and cook again until bottom is lightly browned.
Serve immediately with syrup, berries and/or whipped cream.
This batter makes fairly thick pancakes. If you like yours thinner, add an additional 2 tbsp buttermilk to the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment